School Supply Drive
United Way holds successful school supply drive for third year
to benefit Hamilton County PTA Teacher Supply Depot
About 25 percent of Hamilton County public school students live at or below poverty level. That means many area students lack the supplies they need to go back to school prepared for success. So United Way of Greater Chattanooga invites the community to donate to the third annual STUFF THE BUS school supply drive for children and teens to equip Hamilton County public school students for success in school. In 2011, $15,000 in supplies were collected and donated to the Hamilton County Parent Teacher Association's (PTA) Teacher Supply Depot. The 2012 goal is to collect $40,000 in school supplies.
United Way and the Hamilton County PTA's Teacher Supply Depot are asking people to host school supply drives at their businesses, schools, and places of worship, or just donate school supplies at a participating drop-off event or location. Go online at LiveUnitedChattanooga.org to download posters, supply lists and other templates to help organize a drive. All school supply donations go to the Hamilton County PTA's Teacher Supply Depot, a 501c3. Any Hamilton County public school teacher who is a member of a Hamilton County public school PTA can shop at the Hamilton County PTAs Teacher Supply Depot to receive school supplies at no cost.
The list of Stuff the Bus partners has grown this year. Joining long-time sponsor Publix are Walgreens Pharmacies; Top Flight paper company; the Social Media Alliance of Chattanooga; Fairway Outdoor; WRCB TV; Chattanooga Times Free Press; Clear Channel Radio Group; Chattanooga Elks Lodge #91 in East Brainerd; Hamilton Place Mall; and the Chattanooga Market.
The following is a list of current collection locations, events, dates and times. Please contact United Way at 423-752-0300 or visit the website at www.LiveUnitedChattanooga.org for continuing updates:
- All Walgreens stores in Hamilton County are collecting supplies through Saturday, August 18. Just look for the collection barrels near the store entrance.
- All Publix stores in Hamilton County are collecting supplies through Sunday, August 12. Just look for the pre-made school supply bags near the check-out lines.
- Bring any school supply item to any Chattanooga Lookouts game from Tuesday, August 14, to Saturday, August 18, and you can get a buy-one, get-one General Admission ticket. The Lookouts are playing the Jacksonville Suns next week. All five games start at 7:15 p.m.
- The Chattanooga Market, Sunday, August 19, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Live United Day. United Way will collect supplies and cash to Stuff the Bus at the Market all day.
- United Way's Campaign Kickoff Luncheon at the Chattanooga Trade and Convention Center, Tuesday, August 28, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- All meetings of the Social Media Alliance of Chattanooga through the end of 2012. You can find future meeting dates at www.facebook.com/smacnooga and www.community.nooga.org
- The Hamilton County PTA's Teacher Supply Depot, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the old Mary Ann Garber School, 2225 Roanoke Avenue. For more information go to www.hcptacouncil.org.
- The United Way offices at 630 Market Street can receive donations Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The Comcast offices at 1948 North Point Blvd., Suite B, in Hixson, and at 2030 E. Polymer Drive near Lee Highway.
- In September & October, Applebee's at 5606 Brainerd Road will accept donations of school supplies in exchange for $5 off a $25 purchase coupon with a minimum donation of 2 items. Limit one coupon per family.
- Other collection events and locations TBA
Because students' supply needs don't end when school begins, Stuff the Bus will be continued through October. Lists for needed supplies by grade level can be found at http://www.hcde.org/hamilton-county-schools/dress-code-supply-lists. You may also donate dollars to United Way for the purchase of school supplies. Any amount is welcome and all donations are tax deductible.
For more information, go to www.LiveUnitedChattanooga.org, call 423-752-0300, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Look at the download column to your right. Here you can download posters, flyers, guides and other materials. Check back often to find new materials as the list is updated frequently.
Here are the top 50 school supplies the Hamilton County public school teachers surveyed say they need.
1. Wood pencils (no plastic coating)
2. White copy paper
3. Crayola markers
4. Crayola crayons
5. Dry erase markers
6. Hand sanitizer
8. Index cards
9. Paper towels
10. Post-it notes
11. Freezer bags (gallon, quart, and sandwich size)
12. Colored pencils
13. Sharpie markers (thin and thick tip)
14. Teacher pens (black, red and other colors)
15. Scotch tape
17. Glue sticks
19. Clorox/Lysol wipes
20. Construction paper
21. Colored copy paper
22. Pocket folders (with prongs, various colors)
23. Electric pencil sharpeners
24. Paper clips (large and small)
26. Notebook paper
29. Manila file folders
30. White card stock
31. Rubber bands (big and small)
33. Composition books
34. Spiral notebooks
35. Push pins
36. Air freshener/Febreeze spray
37. Cap erasers
39. Poster board
40. Dry erase board cleaner
41. Masking tape
42. Colored card stock
43. Clear packing tape
44. Page protectors
45. 3 ring binders
46. File folder labels
47. Insertable dividers for binders
48. Binder clips
49. Printer ink cartridges
50. Single subject spiral notebooks